The JALT CALL 2021 online conference took place from 4th to 6th of June 2021. It was sponsored by Poodll and TeacherTools:
In case you missed it, here are some useful Tech Tips I picked up over the course of the weekend!
- SPARQL is a semantic query language for databases which is able to retrieve and manipulate data stored in Resource Description Framework (RDF) format
- According to the founders of Xreading, the following are both fallacies: “Cheaters are only hurting themselves” and “Japanese students don’t cheat”!
- GIGAProject is a partnership between Japan and U.S. companies to help put the latest mobile devices in the hands of every Japanese student.
- Some of the physical impacts of prolonged online learning include: eyestrain, backache, and fatigue:
Image from “Transitions and connections: student reflections on emergency remote teaching and learning (ERTL) in 2020” (Sandra Healy)
- Universal Design is the design and composition of an environment so that it can be accessed, understood and used to the greatest extent possible by all people regardless of their age, size, ability or disability.
- Miro provides an engaging, intuitive, in-person collaboration experience
- Most teachers surveyed at the JALT 2021 conference believe there will be some limited teaching and learning online after the COVID pandemic subsides:
Image from “Optimizing the future of language teaching with technology in Japan” (Betsy Lavolette)
- Students have various concerns about learning online, including Physical, Pedagogical, Social, Technological, and Content-related concerns:
Image from “EFL students’ perceptions and preferences of online learning: a Japanese higher education context” (Satchie Haga)
- Spatial.io allows you to create a lifelike avatar and work as if your are next to your colleagues, utilizing VR and Augmented Reality
- Gather is a video-calling space that lets multiple people hold separate conversations in parallel, walking in and out of those conversations just as easily as they would in real life.
- Wonder is a space where you can connect to others in a spontaneous and fluid way by moving around freely between groups. It’s fun, creative and energizing.
- Run The World is a one-stop solution for virtual social gatherings, webinars and conferences that deliver engagement.
- The ISTE Standards for Students are designed to empower student voice and ensure that learning is a student-driven process
- VocabLevelTest.Org allows you to easily create and administer meaning-recall and form-recall vocabulary levels tests
Image from “Self-marking online form-recall and meaning-recall vocabulary tests” (Stuart McLean)
- LingoBingo.Live allows students to practice listening and speaking in a live online game
Image from “Fun listening & speaking practice with LingoBingo.Live” (Oliver Rose)