- Team Treehouse is a great place to learn to code online.
- Mahara is a fully featured web application for building an electronic portfolio and displaying digital badges.
- badges.quizport.com teaches you all about digital badges, and how to integrate them with Moodle.
- English Central now provides one-to-one online lessons with tutors.
- VOA provides a wide selection of easy English videos.
- Voice Record Pro and QuickVoice are recommended apps for making audio recordings on iOS.
- You can make inspiring presentations with Haiku Deck.
- Mindomo allows you to create online mind-maps.
- Poll Everywhere lets you engage your audience or class in real time.
- Oovoo provides free video chat for any device.
- National Geographic has a YouTube channel for teaching English to young learners.
- You can learn a foreign language by playing as an international spy with Subverses Covert.
- Spell Up lets you practice your spelling using the Chrome browser.
- Mentimeter allows you to vote with your smartphone during presentations.
- TEFLology is a podcast by teachers of EFL, for teachers of EFL.
- The Web Speech API is 72% reliable in recognizing the speech of Japanese learners of English.
- Xreading is a cross-device compatible virtual library of graded readers, and makes it easy to monitor and assess students’ reading progress
- HelloTalk allows you to practice foreign languages with people around the world for free.
- The Hirodai English App features free podcasts and vocabulary lists for English learners.
- Busuu allows you to learn languages online for free.
I got a nice little name-check for my role in Atama-ii Books ELTon’s nomination for Innovation in Learner Resources. Check out the video for highlights of Atama-ii (that ‘e’ not ‘two’!) at the 2015 ELTons award ceremony in London!
My new eBook, 50 Ways to Teach with Technology: Tips for ESL/EFL Teachers (Wayzgoose Press) has gone straight to No. 1 position in the Computers and Technology Education category in Japanese Amazon!
The book features, as the title states, 50 ideas and activities for using technology to teach ESL/EFL.